The all-new Kia Sportage is due to hit Australian showrooms in October, featuring an overhauled design, more space, a comprehensive safety suite, and more choice than ever before.
Kia has announced initial specifications for the Australian line-up, confirming four trim levels, three powertrain options, and a healthy level of features across the line-up.
LED headlights will be standard from the base level, as will a ‘basic’ all-digital instrument cluster with 4.2-inch multifunction LCD display. You can get a preview of the different displays available here.
A front-centre airbag, AEB with pedestrian and cyclist detection, blind-spot and rear cross-traffic assist, adaptive cruise control and Lane Follow Assist across the range mean the new Sportage should meet the latest crash-test criteria, and offer semi-autonomous driving capability right from the base level.
The existing S, SX, SX+ and GT-Line model walk will carry over for 2022, while a total of four drivetrain options will be offered depending on variant.
All models bar the top-spec GT-Line will be offered with a base 2.0-litre four-cylinder naturally-aspirated petrol with 115kW (+1kW) and 192Nm. This powertrain is front-wheel drive only.
The S and SX will offer this motor with a standard six-speed manual or optional six-speed automatic, with the latter standard on the SX+. It’s worth noting this latest announcement differs from the previous 117kW/191Nm outputs quoted.
Next is the 1.6-litre four-cylinder turbo – new to the local Sportage line-up – with outputs of 132kW and 265Nm. A seven-speed dual-clutch automatic and all-wheel drive are standard with this engine.
The 1.6 T-GDi AWD drivetrain will be optional on the SX+ and standard on the GT-Line flagship.
Finally, the 2.0-litre four-cylinder turbo-diesel with all-wheel drive has been updated for 2022 in line with the Hyundai Tucson, meaning outputs of 137kW (+1kW) and 416Nm (+16Nm). An eight-speed auto is standard with this engine, which will be offered across all trim levels.
All powertrains have aligned with the latest ‘Smartstream’ specs available in the related Hyundai Tucson, and while Kia Australia hasn’t explicitly mentioned its new efficiency-focused engine tag, the pre-production vehicle in the images has Smartstream branding in the engine bay.
We’re also expecting a 169kW/350Nm 1.6-litre turbocharged hybrid to join the range in 2022, though no official announcement has been made as yet.
Sportage S highlights:
- 17-inch alloy wheels (machine face)
- 8.0-inch touchscreen infotainment
- Apple CarPlay/Android Auto (wireless)
- DAB digital radio
- Six-speed audio system
- ‘Basic’ digital instrument cluster with 4.2-inch TFT display
- LED headlights (reflector-type)
- LED daytime running lights
- Partial-LED tail lights
- Full-size spare wheel
- Leather-accented steering wheel and PVC shifter
- AEB with pedestrian/cyclist/junction assist
- Blind-spot assist
- Rear cross-traffic assist
- Lane-keep assist
- Lane Follow Assist
- Intelligent speed limit assist
- Adaptive cruise control**
- Electric park brake**
- Reversing camera
- Rear parking sensors
- Tyre pressure monitoring
- Front-centre airbag
**not available for manual variants
Sportage SX adds:
- 18-inch alloy wheels (machine face)
- 12.3-inch touchscreen infotainment
- Satellite navigation
- Apple CarPlay/Android Auto (wired)
- Power driver’s lumbar adjustment
- Rain-sensing wipers
- Dual-zone climate control with auto de-fog
- Auto up/down windows (front)
- Leather shifter
- Remote-folding second-row seats
Sportage SX+ adds:
- 19-inch alloy wheels
- 8-speaker Harman Karon premium audio
- Faux leather seat trim
- Heated front seats
- LED front fog lights
- Power driver’s seat with power lumbar
- Electric tailgate
- Electrochromic rear-view mirror
- Keyless entry with push-button start
- Steering-mounted paddle shifters
- Rear privacy glass
- Front parking sensors
Sportage GT-Line adds:
- 19-inch alloy wheels (machine face)
- 12.3-inch digital instrument cluster
- Leather seats with suede upper
- Driver’s seat with memory function
- Power passenger seat adjustment
- Heated/ventilated front seats
- Bi-LED headlights (projector type)
- Full-LED tail lights
- Shift-by-wire gear selector (dial type)
- Wireless phone charger
- Ambient interior lighting
- LED interior lighting
- Panoramic sunroof
- Alloy sports pedals
- Blind Spot View Monitor
- Parking Collision Avoidance (reverse)
- Remote Smart Park Assist*
- Surround-view cameras with 3D view
*Diesel models only
- Clear White
- Steel Grey*
- Gravity Grey*
- Fusion Black*
- Vesta Blue*
- Dawning Red*
- Snow White Pearl**
- Jungle Wood Green**
*Premium finish, extra charge applies ($TBA)
**SX+ and GT-Line only
Click the images for the full gallery
MORE: Everything Kia Sportage