The 2022 Volkswagen Caddy has just received a new petrol engine option for the first time in this generation, as well as price hikes of between $2000 and $2700 for the diesel range.
These new prices will come into effect from January 1, 2022.
Volkswagen will continue to offer the new Caddy in two lengths; and in cargo van, crew van and people mover variants.
- 2022 Volkswagen Caddy Cargo TSI220 manual: $34,990 (NEW)
- 2022 Volkswagen Caddy Cargo TSI220 automatic: $37,990 (NEW)
- 2022 Volkswagen Caddy Cargo TDI280 manual: $36,990 (+$2000)
- 2022 Volkswagen Caddy Cargo TDI320 automatic: $39,990 (+$2000)
- 2022 Volkswagen Caddy Maxi TSI220 manual: $36,990 (NEW)
- 2022 Volkswagen Caddy Maxi TSI220 automatic: $39,990 (NEW)
- 2022 Volkswagen Caddy Maxi TDI280 manual: $38,990 (+$2000)
- 2022 Volkswagen Caddy Maxi TDI320 automatic: $41,990 (+$2000)
- 2022 Volkswagen Caddy Crewvan TSI220 automatic: $43,990 (NEW)
- 2022 Volkswagen Caddy Crewvan TDI320 automatic: $45,990 (+$2000)
- 2022 Volkswagen Caddy Maxi TSI220 automatic: $46,140 (NEW)
- 2022 Volkswagen Caddy Maxi TDI320 automatic: $48,140 (+$2650)
- 2022 Volkswagen Caddy Life Maxi TSI220 automatic: $50,640 (NEW)
- 2022 Volkswagen Caddy Life Maxi TDI320 automatic: $52,640 (+$2650)
- 2022 Volkswagen Caddy California Maxi TSI220 automatic: $55,690 (NEW)
- 2022 Volkswagen Caddy California Maxi TDI320 automatic: $57,690 (+$2700)
All prices exclude on-road costs and will be effective from January 1, 2022.
Joining the range for the 2022 model year, is a 1.5-litre turbocharged petrol four-cylinder engine producing 84kW of power and 220Nm of torque in TSI220 variants. This is all mated to either a six-speed manual or seven-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission.
The 2022 Volkswagen Caddy is also powered by a familiar 2.0-litre turbo-diesel four-cylinder engine producing 75kW and 280Nm in TDI280 variants, and 90kW and 320Nm in TDI320 variants.
The TDI280 is only available with a six-speed manual transmission, while the TDI320 is only available with a seven-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission.
Petrol variants of the 2022 Volkswagen Caddy use a claimed 6.4L/100km with the manual transmission fitted on the combined cycle, or 6.2L/100km with the dual-clutch automatic.
The TSI220 requires a minimum of 95 RON premium unleaded petrol.
The 2.0-litre diesel on the other hand consumes a claimed 4.9L/100km for all body styles and transmission options.
The 2022 Volkswagen Caddy in short-wheelbase guise measures 4500mm long on a 2755mm wheelbase, with a 1797mm long and 1230mm wide cargo bay. It’s 1856mm tall and 2100mm wide including the mirrors.
Cargo Maxi variants are 353mm longer (all cargo length) with 215mm more wheelbase. Exterior width and cargo bay width is identical to the short-wheel base.
Payload figures for petrol and diesel variants are very similar, with up to 724kg in SWB Cargo models and 754kg in the Cargo Maxi.
Braked towing capacity for the manual TSI220 models is rated at 1400kg, whereas the dual-clutch TSI220 and diesel models can tow 1500kg.
Servicing and Warranty
The 2022 Volkswagen Caddy is backed up by a five-year, unlimited kilometre warranty with one year of roadside assist.
Volkswagen offers capped-price servicing and servicing packages for either three or five years.
The redesigned Caddy has yet to be tested by ANCAP or Euro NCAP. The closely-related Golf has a five-star rating based on testing carried out in 2019.
All 2022 Volkswagen Caddy models come standard with the following equipment:
- Autonomous emergency braking (AEB)
- Driver attention monitoring
- Reversing camera
- Rear parking sensors
Crew van and people mover variants add lane-keeping assist, junction assist for the AEB, and rear curtain airbags, while people mover variants further add:
- AEB with pedestrian and cyclist detection
- Blind-spot monitoring
- Rear cross-traffic alert
The Caddy Cargo comes standard with the following features:
- 8.25-inch touchscreen infotainment system
- Wired Android Auto and Apple CarPlay
- Cruise control
- Automatic headlights
- Electric parking brake
- Single passenger-side sliding door (short-wheelbase)
- Dual-sliding door (Maxi)
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel
- Two USB-C ports
- 12V sockets in front and rear cabin
- LED interior lighting
In addition to three rear seats, the Crewvan adds:
- Heated, power-adjustable mirrors
- Height-adjustable front seats with four-way power lumbar
The Caddy Maxi people mover adds:
- Seven seats
- LED tailgate surround lighting
- Fabric door trim armrests
The Life Maxi adds:
- Digital Cockpit digital instrument cluster
- Dual-zone climate control
- Keyless start
- Rain-sensing wipers
- 17-inch alloy wheels
- Front parking sensors
- Adaptive cruise control (includes stop/go on auto models)
The California Maxi adds:
- 17-inch gloss-black alloy wheels
- Foldable bed
- Rear-side window storage bags
- Dimmable LED interior lighting
- Foldable table and two chairs
The 2022 Volkswagen Caddy is available in the following exterior paint colours:
- Candy White
- Cherry Red
- Pure Grey
- Bright Orange
- Reflex Silver metallic
- Mojave Beige metallic
- Costa Azul (blue) metallic
- Golden Green metallic
- Fortana Red metallic
- Indium Grey metallic
- Copper Bronze metallic
- Starlight Blue metallic
- Deep Black pearl
MORE: Everything Volkswagen Caddy