GWM has upped the price on its latest Ute again.
After introducing a new 4×2 price leader and upping the price of 4×4 models by $1000 earlier in 2021, GWM has again increased the drive-away price of the Ute by $500 on all models..
The company says the price change is down to supply chain and shipping pressures. Specifications haven’t changed.
Despite the price rise, the Cannon remains one of the cheapest dual-cab utes on the market when you consider its size and feature list.
All models feature a full suite of active safety features, along with four-wheel disc brakes and off-road hardware such as a locking rear differential and low-range.
It also now has a five-star ANCAP safety rating. After initially failing to earn a five-star ANCAP rating, the GWM Ute has since been modified by the factory.
It was awarded a five-star rating in November 2021, on the condition vehicles built between September 2020 and July 2021 are retroactively upgraded to the same standards as the five-star vehicle tested later in 2021.
- 2022 GWM Ute Cannon 4×2: $33,990 (+$500)
- 2022 GWM Ute Cannon 4×4: $35,990 (+$500)
- 2022 GWM Ute Cannon-L 4×4: $39,490 (+$500)
- 2022 GWM Ute Cannon-X 4×4: $42,490 (+$500)
All prices are drive-away
Power in the GWM Ute comes from a 2.0-litre turbo-diesel four-cylinder produced and developed in-house by Great Wall. It makes 120kW of power and 400Nm of torque, sent to the road through a full-time four-wheel drive system.
An eight-speed automatic transmission is standard, and there’s low-range and a locking rear differential as standard.
GWM quotes a braked towing capacity of 3000kg, and an unbraked figure of 300kg.
The base GWM Ute Cannon 4×2 uses a claimed 8.3 litres per 100km on the combined cycle, while all 4×4 models use a claimed 9.4 litres per 100km.
The 2022 GWM Ute measures 5410mm long, 1886mm wide and 1934mm tall, riding on a 3230mm wheelbase.
GWM claims a laden ground clearance of 194mm, an approach angle of 27 degrees, a departure angle of 25 degrees, and a break over angle of 21.1 degrees.
As is common for the ute class, the front and rear suspension is comprised of double wishbones at the front and leaf springs at the back.
Servicing and Warranty
GWM Australia offers capped-price servicing for the first five visits, required after the first six months or 5000km of ownership, and every 12 months or 10,000km after that.
The first service costs $260, the subsequent four each cost $360.
The Ute has a seven-year, unlimited-kilometre warranty.
After initially failing to earn a five-star ANCAP rating, the GWM Ute has since been modified by the factory. It was awarded a five-star rating in November 2021, on the condition vehicles built between September 2020 and July 2021 are retroactively upgraded to the same standards as the five-star vehicle tested later in 2021.
Post August-build Utes scored 86 per cent for adult occupant protection, 87 per cent for child occupant protection, 67 per cent for vulnerable road user protection, and 73 per cent for safety assist.
Standard across all models are:
- Seven airbags including a front-centre ‘bag
- Reverse and passenger-kerbside camera views
- Rear parking sensors
- Lane-departure warning and active lane-keep assist
- Rear cross-traffic alert
- Adaptive cruise control
- Traffic sign recognition and speed warning
- Tyre-pressure monitoring
- Hill-start assist and hill-descent control braking
The entry Cannon comes with:
- 18-inch alloy wheels
- Body-coloured bumpers, wheel arches and mirrors
- LED headlights with auto shutoff
- Daytime running lights and fog lights
- Side steps
- Proximity key fob and button start
- Fake leather seat trim
- Manual air-conditioning
- 9.0-inch centre touchscreen
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- 2 x front and 1 x rear USB points
The mid-range Cannon-L gains:
- Sports bar in the tub
- Chrome grille, door handles and mirrors
- Auto-folding side mirrors
- Roof rack
- Privacy glass
- Different ‘premium’ 18-inch alloys
- Spray-in tub liner
- Counterbalanced tailgate
- Cargo ladder
- Leather steering wheel wrap
- Heated front seats and driver’s side power adjustments
- Climate control with rear-seat air vents
- Front parking sensors
- A 360-degree camera view
- Auto-dimming rear-view mirror
- 220V power socket
The flagship Cannon-X gains:
- ‘Luxury’ leather seats
- Tilt and slide adjustable steering
- 7.0-inch instrument cluster
- Wireless phone charging pad
- Power-adjustable passenger seat
- Power-assist steering modes
- Door open warning
- Second row 60/40 folding seat
- Voice recognition
MORE: Everything GWM Ute Cannon