Rimac has launched a standalone and wholly owned Technology business to sit alongside the recently formed Bugatti Rimac joint-venture, with both to sit under a new Rimac Group umbrella company.
Rimac Technology, as it’s called, will continue to expand the engineering, development and supply of the Croatian company’s high-performance electric vehicle (EV) battery systems, electric drive units, electronic systems, and user interface components.
The hyper EV manufacturer and technology specialist is the majority shareholder in the Bugatti Rimac joint venture formed in 2021, with a 55 per cent stake. Porsche owns the remaining 45 per cent – a legacy of Bugatti’s former home in the Volkswagen Group.
Rimac Group says by 2024 it plans to ramp up its production capacity to “tens of thousands [of] high-performance systems per year… with products ranging from small hybrid battery systems to full rolling chassis”.
Rimac Technology is best known for working with automakers such as Porsche, Hyundai, Kia, Automobili Pininfarina, Koenigsegg and Aston Martin to produce performance EV components.
It’s also using the engineering knowledge it learned during the development process of the Nevera electric hypercar.
“The e-Axles, Torque Vectoring, battery systems, connectivity, AI, and countless other electric systems on Nevera are all our creations, and each of them can be scaled to suit applications you might find on a range of higher volume performance vehicles,” said CEO Mate Rimac.
The company says it’s currently working on number of additional projects which are still being kept a secret for now.
Rimac Technology is claimed to be “free from any oversight by any other manufacturer, including investors into the Rimac Group business”.
Mr Rimac will run both Bugatti Rimac and Rimac Technology simultaneously.
As previously reported, Bugatti and Rimac Automobili will both continue to be separate brands and retain their existing manufacturing facilities but operate under Bugatti Rimac with shared research and development (R&D) and “other core functions”.
Rimac Technology currently employs 1000 people and is based on the outskirts of Zagreb, Croatia.
Rimac Group is currently in the process of constructing its €200 million (A$315 million) headquarters also in Zagreb, Croatia, called the Rimac Campus, that’s set to be completed in 2023.
Across the 112,980 square metre gross floor area and 197,575 square metre site area, this complex will feature an on-site test track, museum, design, engineering, production and testing facilities, as well as “high-end customisation” showroom, bar, restaurant and retail spaces.
Rimac also touts there’ll be a gym and training centre, kindergarten, auditorium, conference hall, education rooms, rooftop garden, command centre, VR-rooms and several top-secret project rooms.
The company says its Rimac Campus will be large enough to accomodate over 2500 people and previously indicated the complex has been designed with expansion in mind.
It’s uncertain whether Bugatti will go all-electric with the help of Rimac for its future vehicle line-up, but the production of its quad-turbo W16-powered Chiron hypercar entered its final stages in late 2021.
MORE: Bugatti begins new chapter under Rimac control
MORE: Bugatti Rimac $310 million Croatian headquarters under construction