Mazda has reconfigured its CX-8 line-up for 2022, adding more petrol-powered variants and dropping front-wheel drive diesel models.
The CX-8 was unusual in offering the up-spec GT and Asaki models with a combination of the 2.2-litre twin-turbo diesel four and front-wheel drive, even though all other diesel CX-8s and every diesel version of the related CX-5 was all-wheel drive.
Those models are dead for 2022, replaced by front-wheel drive GT and Asaki variants powered by the 2.5-litre petrol four-cylinder.
The loaded Asaki LE, introduced last year, remains exclusively available with the diesel engine.
Mazda cites strong customer demand for the petrol engine as the reason for the range reshuffle.
Though the three-row CX-8 was launched in 2018 as a diesel-only model, the range was expanded with a more affordable petrol engine in 2020. Now, more than 70 per cent of customers are choosing petrol CX-8s.
Prices across much of the range are up by $100 except on the base petrol Sport.
Mazda offers two three-row SUVs: the CX-8, based on the CX-5, and the wider CX-9, which only offers a turbocharged petrol engine.
They’re neck-and-neck in the sales race. Last year, Mazda sold 6119 CX-8s, up 63.7 per cent, and 6630 CX-9s, down 1.7 per cent.
- 2022 Mazda CX-8 Sport petrol FWD: $39,990
- 2022 Mazda CX-8 Touring petrol FWD: $46,890
- 2022 Mazda CX-8 Sport diesel AWD: $46,990
- 2022 Mazda CX-8 Touring SP petrol FWD: $47,890
- 2022 Mazda CX-8 Touring diesel AWD: $53,890
- 2022 Mazda CX-8 Touring SP diesel AWD: $54,890
- 2022 Mazda CX-8 GT petrol FWD: $56,390 (new)
- 2022 Mazda CX-8 Asaki petrol FWD: $59,790 (new)
- 2022 Mazda CX-8 GT diesel AWD: $63,390
- 2022 Mazda CX-8 Asaki diesel AWD: $66,890
- 2022 Mazda CX-8 Asaki LE diesel AWD: $69,390
All prices exclude on-road costs.
The 2022 Mazda CX-8 is available with a 2.5-litre four-cylinder petrol engine making 140kW of power and 252Nm of torque.
The base engine is a front-wheel drive only proposition.
There’s also a 2.2-litre four-cylinder twin-turbo diesel with 140kW of power and 450Nm of torque. This motor is available exclusively with all-wheel drive.
Both engines are fitted with a six-speed torque-converter automatic transmission as standard.
The 2022 Mazda CX-8 petrol uses 8.1L/100km on the combined cycle, while the diesel uses 6.0L/100km.
The 2022 Mazda CX-8 measures 4900mm long, 1725mm tall and 1840mm wide, with a 2930mm wheelbase.
The petrol CX-8 tips the scales at 1782kg, while the turbo-diesel weighs between 1931kg and 1971kg.
The boot has a luggage capacity, including the underfloor storage area, of 242L with all three seating rows up and 775L when the third row is flat.
These figures include underfloor storage and are measured to the ceiling.
The CX-8 has an ANCAP safety rating of five stars based on testing carried out in 2018.
It scored 96 per cent in adult occupant protection, 87 per cent in child occupant protection, 72 per cent in vulnerable road user protection, and 73 per cent in safety assist.
All Mazda CX-8 models come standard with:
- Autonomous emergency braking
- Blind-spot monitoring
- Rear cross-traffic alert
- Lane-keep assist
- Rear parking sensors
- Adaptive cruise control
Higher-end models have front parking sensors and adaptive headlights.
Servicing and Warranty
The 2022 Mazda CX-8 is backed by a five-year, unlimited-kilometre warranty.
Maintenance is required every 12 months or 10,000km.
The first five services are capped at $337, $367, $337, $367 and $337 in petrol models, and $348, $423, $348, $423 and $348 in diesel models.
The base model Mazda CX-8 Sport comes with the following standard features:
- 17-inch alloy wheels with 225/65 tyres
- Automatic LED headlights
- Heated electric wing mirrors with auto-folding mechanism
- Rain-sensing wipers
- Head-up display
- Three-zone climate control
- Auto-dimming rear view mirror
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel and shifter
- 8.0-inch touchscreen infotainment system with satellite navigation
- Android Auto and Apple CarPlay
- DAB+ digital radio
- Six-speaker sound system
- Rear parking sensors
- Reversing camera
Moving up to the Mazda CX-8 Touring brings:
- LED fog lights
- Front parking sensors
- Keyless entry
- Black leather seat trim
- Heated front seats
- Eight-way power driver’s seat
- Six-way power passenger’s seat
- USB ports for second row centre arm rest
- Paddle shifters
The Touring SP (above) gains:
- 19-inch black metallic alloy wheels
- Black front grille, mirror caps
- Black honeycomb interior highlights
- Suede-like seat trim
- Red interior stitching
- 10-way powered driver’s seat
- Heated outboard second-row seats
The Mazda CX-8 GT adds:
- 10.25-inch infotainment system with satellite navigation
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- Wireless phone charging
- Burgundy or black leather trim
- 19-inch alloy wheels with 225/55 tyres
- Gloss black front grille
- Adaptive headlights
- Power tilt-and-slide sunroof
- Power tailgate
- LED daytime running lights
- 10-speaker Bose sound system with subwoofer, 273W amplifier
- Heated second row seats (outboard only)
- USB charging ports for third row
- Chrome highlights
The Mazda CX-8 Asaki also features:
- 19-inch dark alloy wheels with 225/55 tyres
- Gun metallic front grille
- Chroma Brown nappa leather seats with quilting
- Surround view monitor
- Adaptive LED headlights
- Ventilated front seats
- Nappa leather seats (dark russet or pure white)
- Heated steering wheel
- 7.0-inch multi-information display
- Wood interior trim
- Frameless rear view mirror
- LED interior ambient lighting
- Premium steering wheel stitching
- Unique overhead console
The range-topping CX-8 Asaki LE packs:
- Six-seat interior with powered, heated, ventilated second-row captain’s chairs
- Second row centre console with cupholders and USB charging
- Chroma Brown or Pure White leather with quilting
The Mazda CX-8 is available in the following finishes:
- Soul Red Crystal metallic
- Polymetal Grey metallic
- Machine Grey metallic
- Platinum Quartz metallic
- Titanium Flash mica
- Deep Crystal Blue mica
- Jet Black mica
- Snowflake White Pearl mica
The greys and the red are the only to attract a surcharge: $595.
MORE: Everything Mazda CX-8