The 2022 Mazda MX-5 convertible has lost its entry-level 1.5-litre four-cylinder option, but has gained a number of additional features.
Prices are up by between $400 and $1700, depending on the variant, with the range now starting at $37,790 before on-road costs for the 2.0-litre Roadster manual.
Mazda has introduced its newly-developed Kinematic Posture Control (KPC), which is built into the suspension across the entire 2022 MX-5 range.
This system is said to generate an anti-lift force at the rear by braking the inside back wheel while cornering at higher G-forces, thereby reducing roll and pushing the body down into a more stable position.
It seems to build on Mazda’s exisiting G-Vectoring system which minutely cuts engine torque to transfer vehicle weight and improve stability under rapid directional changes.
The KPC system can apparently determine “turning conditions” in real time from the speed differential between left and right rear wheels, and increases its action in linear fashion to “produce and appropriate posture stabilisation effect”.
Mazda says there’s no change to everyday driving situations, but the harder you drive, the more the MX-5 adjusts its own turning posture.
Beyond this KPC system, all 2022 MX-5 models now gain driver attention monitoring, lane-departure warning, rear parking sensors, rear autonomous emergency braking (AEB), and LED daytime running lights.
A new colour named Platinum Quartz Metallic will be offered across the range, while there’s a new Terracotta Nappa leather upholstery option for the RF GT trim.
- 2022 Mazda MX-5 Roadster manual: $37,790 (+$1700)
- 2022 Mazda MX-5 Roadster automatic: $39,790 (+$1700)
- 2022 Mazda MX-5 Roadster GT manual: $44,420 (+$400)
- 2022 Mazda MX-5 Roadster GT automatic: $46,420 (+$400)
- 2022 Mazda MX-5 Roadster GT RS manual: $47,420 (+$400)
- 2022 Mazda MX-5 RF manual: $42,100 (+$700)
- 2022 Mazda MX-5 RF automatic: $44,100 (+$700)
- 2022 Mazda MX-5 RF GT manual: $48,500 (+$400)
- 2022 Mazda MX-5 RF GT automatic: $50,500 (+$400)
- 2022 Mazda MX-5 RF GT Black Roof manual: $49,520 (+$400)
- 2022 Mazda MX-5 RF GT Black Roof automatic: $51,520 (+$400)
- 2022 Mazda MX-5 RF GT RS manual: $51,500 (+$400)
All prices exclude on-road costs.
Powering the entire 2022 Mazda MX-5 range is a 2.0-litre SkyActiv-G naturally-aspirated four-cylinder engine that produces 135kW of power and 205Nm of torque.
This engine is mated to either a six-speed manual or six-speed automatic transmission. All models are rear-wheel drive.
For the 2022 model year, the 1.5-litre naturally-aspirated four-cylinder engine has been axed from the range.
The 2022 Mazda MX-5’s claimed combined cycle fuel economy figures are as follows:
- Roadster manual – 6.8L/100km
- Roadster automatic – 7.0L/100km
- RF hard-top manual – 6.9L/100km
- RF hard-top automatic – 7.2L/100km
All 2022 MX-5 models have a 45L fuel tank and require a minimum of 95 RON premium unleaded petrol.
The 2022 Mazda MX-5 Roadster measures in at 3915mm long, 1735mm wide and 1230mm tall, with a 2310mm wheelbase. RF hard-top models measure the same as Roadster models but are 5mm taller at 1235mm.
Roadster models have a boot space of 130L and RF hard-top models offer incrementally less at 127L.
Servicing and Warranty
The 2022 Mazda MX-5 is covered by a five-year, unlimited-kilometre warranty just like the rest of the Mazda range.
Scheduled service is required every 10,000km or 12 months, whichever comes first.
The first five services are as follows:
The 2022 Mazda MX-5 has a five-star safety rating from ANCAP, based on testing carried out in 2016. It scored 35.20 out of 37 in testing.
The entire 2022 MX-5 comes with the following safety features:
- Front and side airbags
- Low-speed forward autonomous emergency braking (AEB)
- Low-speed reverse AEB (NEW)
- Blind-spot monitoring
- Rear cross-traffic alert
- Lane-departure warning (NEW)
- Driver attention monitoring (NEW)
- Reversing camera
- Rear parking sensors (NEW)
- Traffic sign recognition
- Hill-start assist
- Seatbelt warning
- Tyre pressure monitoring
The 2022 Mazda MX-5 Roadster and RF come with the following standard features:
- Kinematic Posture Control (NEW)
- Black cloth soft-top (Roadster only)
- Body-coloured retractable roof (RF only)
- 17-inch black metallic alloy wheels
- 7.0-inch touchscreen infotainment system
- Wired and wireless Apple CarPlay
- Wired Android Auto
- DAB+ digital radio
- Satellite navigation
- Six-speaker sound system
- Automatic LED headlights
- LED tail lights
- LED daytime running lights (NEW)
- Rain-sensing window wipers
- Gloss black powered side mirrors
- Black cloth upholstery
- Climate control air-conditioning
- Cruise control
- Leather-wrapped gear shift knob
- Leather-wrapped handbrake handle
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel
- One-touch down power windows
- Auto-dimming rear-view mirror (NEW)
- Push-button start
- Limited-slip differential (manual only)
- Paddle shifters (automatic only)
The Roadster GT and RF GT adds the following:
- 17-inch bright silver alloy wheels
- Automatic high-beam
- Black leather upholstery
- Heated front seats
- Body-coloured heated and powered side mirrors
- Keyless entry
- Stainless steel door sill plates
- Nine-speaker Bose premium sound system
Optional only on the RF GT is Pure White and Terracota Nappa Leather upholstery.
The Roadster GT RS and RF GT RS add:
- 17-inch BBS gunmetal grey forged alloy wheels
- Bilstein suspension dampers
- Four-piston Brembo front brakes
- Front tower suspension brace bar
- Gloss black heated and powered side mirrors
The 2022 Mazda MX-5 is available in the following exterior paint colours:
- Snowflake White Pearl Mica
- Platinum Quartz Metallic (NEW)
- Soul Red Crystal Metallic
- Deep Blue Crystal Mica
- Machine Grey Metallic
- Jet Black Mica
- Polymetal Grey Metallic
Soul Red Crystal Metallic, Machine Grey Metallic and Polymetal Grey Metallic cost an additional $495.
RF GT models also have the option of a black-painted roof, which costs an additional $1020.
MORE: Everything Mazda MX-5